Monday, March 24, 2008

Creativity Tips: See Better

The awareness test from the Friday Fun post has approximately 89 million creativity lessons embedded in it. I'm going to hit a few of my favorites here .. I hope you comment on some others.
  1. It is easy to miss something you're not looking for.
  2. We see what we want to see. (I drive a VW Beetle. Because of that, I see every VW Beetle on the road -- each one validates that I made a smart decision.)
  3. Following directions limits our perspective.
  4. Just because we know we're right, doesn't mean we're right.
  5. Perception is not reality. (Go ahead. Argue with me. "Perception is reality" has given me more heartburn than any other business concept I can remember.)

The big takeaway for me? See better. Let's be aware of even subtle prejudices and stay open to new inputs. And remember, your reality and my reality are very different. But if we look for a way to find a better reality together, we won't miss it.

No comments: