Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Giving Credit Where Credit is Du

I recently "introduced" you to my mentor, Duana. Now, as promised, the story of how we met:

In 1986, I had just left an 8-year stint at KUDL/WHB and had started work at the University of Missouri. The academic environment was a real culture shock for me – it was definitely not the wacky world of radio. I was convinced I had made a huge mistake.

As I poked around my basement office, dejectedly considering how I could get my old job back, I heard this humongous laugh echoing through Scofield Hall. I followed the sound upstairs, walked into Duana’s office and asked, “Will you adopt me?” Her first words to me were, “Sure! Who are you?”

And that, as they say, was the start of a beautiful relationship. It was also my first mentoring lesson: If someone asks for help, don't start by determining who they are and if they're worth it. If you can help, just Du it.

No comments: