Thursday, June 11, 2009

Creativity Tip: Stretch

This weekend, I'm going to the Iowa Summer Writing Festival with my local workshop buddies. I thought about taking a poetry class, but ended up enrolling in Writing the Weekend Short Story.

Now, this is waaaaaaaay out of my comfort zone. I haven't written a short story in, well, I don't remember the last time I wrote a short story.

So, why am I excited about this session? Simple. It's good to stretch. It's good to try something new now and then. If I write a great short story, fantastic! If not, I bet I learn something that applies to my next poem -- or my next business assignment.

Give your creativity a workout this summer. Explore a new genre, pick up a different paint brush, buy a disposable camera, get out that sidewalk chalk. Stretch!

No comments: