Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Creativity Tips: Don't Do It Yourself

Jan is on vacation. Here's a favorite post from December 2007:

Over the years, I've received a number of compliments regarding my title: Chief Creative Instigator. My response is to smile broadly, try to look both creative and instigative, and say, "Thank you." Rarely, do I say, "Thank you. I didn't come up with it. Mike Brown did."

So, for those of you who like the title: "Thank you. I didn't come up with it. Mike Brown did."

Mike is a nationally known speaker on strategy, innovation and cool business topics. Among other responsibilities, he handles strategic market research for YRC Worldwide, a Fortune 500 company. He is also an essential member of my creative team.

Who's on your team? When you're trying to come up with the perfect title, a different approach, an acceptable idea for dinner, who do you ask for advice? My tip for the day: Ask someone. Don't Do It Yourself. And to get really creative input, ask someone unexpected. A four-year-old. Your significant other. The colleague with the candy dish. Take their advice, or use it as a jumpstart. Either way, you both win.

P.S. Did DIY start with the unfortunate idea of self service gas stations? And how can we call it "service" if I have to do it myself? And if I was interested in self service, would I be married? (Ah, but that's a different post, isn't it?)

1 comment:

Chris Reaburn said...

Seriously not a fan of self-service? Who knows how to meet your needs better than you?

(or, self-service: when no one can do for you what you can do for yourself.)

(or, self-service: when explaining it to someone else would take more time than doing it yourself.)