Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Creativity Tips: The Go Green Answer

Did you complete yesterday's exercise? Did you find five different shades of green?

Here's what else you probably found:
  1. You noticed greens you would otherwise overlook. Why? Because we find what we're looking for -- it's simple, but true. I saw shadows on grass, three completely different shades of lime green in my kitchen, and shimmers of black in the green traffic light. The shadows, shades and shimmers were always there; I just didn't notice.
  2. You felt good when you found that fifth shade -- measurable, attainable, interesting objectives are wonderful. Two different shades would have been too simple. Ten? Too much work.

    And here's the other creative payoff: You can apply this conscious perspective-change approach to anything. Including life. I know, because the exercise stems from a question my buddy Lynn asked me recently: What good thing is going to happen today?

    I know this will surprise you, but that's not the question I generally ask myself while I'm driving to a client's office.

    From now on, it will be. You know why? Because I discovered it's just as easy to find the good as the green. It's there, if we're willing to see it.

No comments: