Thursday, September 23, 2010

Creativity Tips: Fake It

First of all, that's not the "it" I'm talking about, so clean up your act.

Thank you. Now, let's get back to business. Here's a tip I use to make myself feel better on days when my longest piece of writing is my to do list. I add items I know I'll quickly cross off.

For example, I'm writing this sentence at 6:14 a.m. I woke up at 5:45 a.m. and realized I needed to put money into Mary's school lunch account online. After making coffee, before going online, I added that task to my ridiculously over-extended to do list.

Why? Because now it's 6:15 a.m. and I already have something crossed off my list. That's right! I went online and four clicks later had paid for incredible school nutrition for my baby. Good lord, I'm one productive, creative woman! I'm amazing! It's 6:15 a.m. and I'm already crossing things off the list. And, back in the running for Mother of the Year.

Fake it, folks.*

*Digression that some of you will understand: If you haven't watched When Harry Met Sally in a while, watch it again. The scene in the diner is still hysterical. Rob Reiner's mother has perfect timing.

No comments: