Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Power of Words


Knowing how I feel about the power of words, it's not surprising that a number of people have sent me the link to this video. Here's what I find fascinating. Based on Facebook and email reactions, many people think the video is "amazing," "so true," and "powerful." I think it's annoying. Why?

Because creativity is in the eye of the beholder and my eye has a completely different view of blindness. While I applaud the reminder that words change actions, I abhor the depiction of this blind beggar. I worked for a blind man for years. He's brilliant and successful. My guess is, he would be appalled by this video.

Macular degeneration has robbed my mother of most of her sight. She fights daily to remain as independent as possible.

So, for me, this video is a reminder that we see the world through our own unique lens. It's a challenge for communications at times, but it's a gift for creativity. Here's how I see it: If you do something and the people around you don't applaud, don't worry. Please your own eyes.

And if others beg to differ with you, enjoy the discussion.

2 comments:

Barb said...

One of your best posts ever! Thanks for always being inspiring and speaking your truth.

Chuck said...

Jan,
I understand that the depiction of the blind man offended you. What I question in your post is the following:
"Because creativity is in the eye of the beholder and my eye has a completely different view of blindness. While I applaud the reminder that words change actions, I abhor the depiction of this blind beggar."
Why bring "creativity" into the discussion? Applaud and Abhor are terms of judgment, not creativity. Using your eyes to find something to applaud or abhor makes nothing new or improved.
Chuck