Thursday, August 23, 2012

Fabulous Phrases: Gratitude

I'm so glad I started my professional life as a radio reporter. My need then to really listen to people so I could quickly capture the best soundbite has helped shape my career -- and my relationship to the universe. I hear soundbites others might miss.

For example ...

One of the speakers in Jerusalem was a young rebbetzin who had recently recovered from a critical illness. During the months when she was hospitalized, many people stepped up to help. They fed her family, sat by her bedside, prayed for her recovery.

Later, she told one of her friends, "I will never be able to repay all these kindnesses."

The friend quietly replied, "You're not indebted. You're connected."

You're not indebted. You're connected. I've never heard a more gracious, freeing and absolutely accurate way to describe that kind of situation.

And, for the record, I'm grateful you and I are connected.

3 comments:

@petebillingham said...

"You're not indebted. You're connected." What a fantastic way to say, it's ok ... everything is in balance.

Vicki said...

I like this. :)

Timna said...

I stumbled upon your blog today, and this post is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.