Monday, January 30, 2017

#MondayMotivation -- Back to (Monkey) Business

Do you work better when you feel encouraged or when you're frightened? Are you more creative when you're happy or when you despair? Do you feel healthier when you're relaxed and focused -- or stressed and stretched?

I'm a writer. I can't function, I can't be my most creative, when I am 24/7 angry/terrified/horrified/etc. So, this week, I am officially getting back to monkey business.

Now, let's make one thing perfectly clear: Being a writer doesn't negate the fact that I am also a liberal Jewish momma. I will continue to call, write and visit my legislators; donate to good causes; and attend protests and rallies.

But I will also take to heart a wise remark from my friend Hedy: "It's important to show up for rallies! And it's important to show up for each other, too."

She's right. And the way I show up for you -- and for my clients and for myself -- is by being a happy voice and a positive creative instigator.

With that in mind, I'm going to focus most of my political commentary on Twitter (you'll find me @sokoloffharness), but I'm getting back to creativity tips on the blog and more goofy posts about Mom and the girls on Facebook. Will political posts pop up? Undoubtedly. The problems aren't going away and neither am I.

But people depend on me to be creative. And that means I need sock monkeys and crayons and silliness in my life on a daily basis -- along with my daily protests.

Let's start now! No, you don't have to make a sock monkey. You could pick up a crayon and doodle. And if you don't have a crayon handy, just do this: Close your eyes, take a deep breath and think about what you need to stay energized this week. What do you need to stay energized for the long haul? Take care of yourself. And we'll all take care of each other.
Leslie Adams took this photo years ago. Still one of my favs.
(Is Leslie still one of my favs? Or the photo
Incomplete sentences only work if they're clear.)






No comments: