Thursday, June 1, 2017

#Creativity Tips: Instant (Creative) Gratification

When was the last time you went on a completely new creative adventure? I recently veered way off my usual path to take part in the first InstantlyKC Instant Film Workshop – and it was amazing.


I went with Kate, who takes gorgeous photos with digital and instant cameras. So, naturally, I started by telling the instructors – Leslie Adams and Anne Hollond – that Kate was the photographer. I was just there for fun.

Well, by the end of the workshop, I was singing a different tune. Turns out, with the right coaching and camera, I am a photographer. (And it is fun!)

After a brief introduction to different instant cameras and their features, Leslie and Anne took the workshop participants on a guided tour of the West Bottoms, a fascinating area in Kansas City, not far from downtown. The skies were gray and rain threatened, but the lighting turned out to be terrific for instant photography. As we wandered around (and you can wander, even with a guide), I took a few hesitant shots like this:

And then grew progressively bolder:


Not all of my photos were, shall we say, perfect, but I captured a few images I really love! This one is my favorite:


To top it all off, Anne and Leslie gave us wonderful little albums as a workshop keepsake.


I was going to wait and tell you about the workshop when they have the next one scheduled, but ... I’m all about instant gratification now. So I couldn’t wait. I’ll post again when the next InstantlyKC Instant Film Workshop is on the calendar!

For now, look around. Picture the possibilities. What can you do this summer that you’ve never done before? 


No comments: